FORD SPECIAL VEHICLE TEAM FACT SHEET
- SVT was founded in 1991, when Ford senior management saw the need for the company to investigate niche vehicle market opportunities. The 1992 Chicago Auto Show featured the official launch of SVT, and the unveiling of the 1993 SVT Mustang Cobra and SVT F-150 Lightning. Both vehicles went on sale in February 1993.
- SVT is small, cross-functional group of engineers, product planners, and marketing people, housed together under one roof with a common mission: to create vehicles specifically designed to meet the unique needs and desires of the knowledgeable driving enthusiast.
- The core values of SVT are Performance, Substance, Exclusivity and Value. To the people at SVT, performance means increased power, supple road manners, and balance among engine, suspension and braking systems. Substance means character that is built in, not added on. SVT exclusivity comes from low-volume, limited-production products available only from specially trained dealers. And SVT is dedicated to delivering products that offer a lot of performance and driving pleasure for the money. That’s value.
- Since the debut of the 1993 SVT Mustang Cobra and SVT F-150 Lightning, the Special Vehicle Team has followed up with several versions of those flagships, plus several Cobra R models, the SVT Contour and new this year, the SVT Focus. The current 2003 line-up includes:
- SVT Mustang Cobra – 390 hp / 390 ft.-lbs. of torque 4.6L DOHC supercharged V8
- SVT F-150 Lightning – 380 hp / 450 ft.-lbs. of torque 5.4L SOHC supercharged V8
- SVT Focus – 170 hp / 145 ft.-lbs. of torque 2.0L DOHC 4-cylinder Zetec
- Limited-production SVT products are sold through SVT-trained and certified Ford dealers in North America. These specially trained dealers are prepared to satisfy discriminating driving enthusiasts before, during and after the sale.
- SVT has its own national “club”, SVTOA (SVT Owners’ Association) that has grown to include almost 10,000 active members and over 40 regional chapters. The owners’ enthusiasm for Ford Motor Company and SVT is overwhelming with events taking place almost every weekend somewhere in the country.
- SVT celebrated a milestone this year that solidifies its position on top of the domestic high-performance vehicle manufacturers, by producing its 100,000th vehicle. This milestone in conjunction with its 10th year of vehicle production in 2003 puts SVT in the lead of the high-performance vehicle race.