F-SERIES MILESTONES AT A GLANCE
- F-Series “Bonus Built” trucks are introduced Jan. 16 (F-1 through F-8), the first of Ford Motor Company’s all-new postwar line of vehicles.
- F-100 pickup is introduced, replacing F-1.
- Ford’s 4x4s are introduced, primarily for commercial use, but just in time for the growth in recreational off-road driving and personal use of pickup trucks in the 1960s.
- Twin I-Beam front suspension is introduced, allowing F-Series to “drive like a car – work like a truck.”
- Nearly two-thirds of pickup owners use trucks for recreational and personal use. In response, Ford introduces its Camper Special package for F-100 and F-250, an industry first.
- Ford introduces F-Series SuperCab, signaling further growth in personal use of pickup trucks.
- F-150 pickup debuts.
- F-Series becomes best selling Full Size Pickup Truck.
- Ford sells 864,000 F-Series trucks, a record.
- Most extensive redesign of F-Series to date.
- Ford’s first diesel pickups debut with 6.9-liter V-8.
- F-Series becomes best-selling vehicle in America.
- F-Series becomes first truck with rear-wheel, anti-lock brakes.
- Ford confirms that it has more trucks on the road with 250,000 miles than any other competitor, according to R.L. Polk.
- Driver’s-side air bags introduced.
- F-Series surpasses Volkswagen Beetle as world’s best-selling vehicle nameplate.
- F-Series introduces the Eddie Bauer edition truck.
- Ford Motor Company enters the Ford F-150 in the NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series.
- Joe Ruttman gives Ford its first Craftsman Truck Series win at Bristol Motor Speedway in June.
- Completely redesigned F-150 and F-250 models introduced.
- SuperCab features industry’s first standard third door in a full-size pickup.
- J.L. Polk Company recognizes the Ford F-150 with the Automotive Household Loyalty Award.
- AutoWeek names F-150 'America's Best Pickup Truck' in a reader determined award grant. F-150 continues to win this honor the next eight consecutive years.
- Ford and Harley-DavidsonÔ form an alliance and introduce the first Harley-Davidson edition of the F-150 as a 2000 model year vehicle.
- The Ford SVT F-150 Lightning is introduced. It is powered by a supercharged 5.4-liter V-8 with 360 horsepower.
- Ford launches a new F-Series Super Duty built on its own unique frame to usher in the first true medium duty pickup truck.
- Ford chalks up its first NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series manufacturers championship.
- Greg Biffle wins the 2000 NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series championship behind the wheel of a Ford F-150.
- The latest version of the SuperCrew features four full doors and luxurious rear-seat accommodations with more passenger space than offered by the previous SuperCab.
- Ford debuts the new super-premium King Ranchâ edition truck.
- Ford unveils the second Harley-Davidson edition based on an F-150 SuperCrew.
- Country star Toby Keith signs on to be spokesman for the F-Series. Ford becomes presenting sponsor of his concert tours.
- Edmunds.com grants Ford F-150 the 'Editors Most Wanted: Large Pickup' award.
- Ford’s third Harley-Davidson edition F-150 debuts.
- The 6.0-liter Power Strokeâ diesel joins the Super Duty line up.
- J.D. Power & Associates names the Ford F-150 'Most Dependable Light Duty.'
- All-new F-150 reflects shifts in market with more consumers using pickup as a daily vehicle. All models feature four-doors – even regular cab models.
- F-Series sets record in sales with 939,511.
- The F-Series honored as the 'Best Truck Line of Texas' by the Texas Auto Writer Truck Roder.
- Money Magazine grants F-150 their 'Best Pickup' designation. F-150 goes on to win the award again in 2005.
- Ford launches an all-new, redesigned and more capable Super Duty.
- 'Consumers Most Wanted' award, as presented by Edmunds.com. Awarded again in 2006.
- Automovil Panamerico names F-150 'Pickup of the Year'.
- Consumers Digest calls Ford F-150 a 'Best Buy'.
- MotorWeek readers grant F-150 the honor 'Driver's Choice: Best Pickup'.
- SEMA recognizes F-150 as the 'Most accessory friendly truck'.
- Car and Driver magazine names F-150 among it's '5 Best'.
- Texas Auto Writers Association again names F-150 'Full-size Truck of Texas'.
- Ford’s fourth Harley-Davidson edition F-150 and the first Harley-Davidson edition built on the new 2004 F-150 platform.
- King Ranch F-150 is named the 'Best Fullsize Pickup Truck' by the Texas Auto Writers Truck Rodeo.
- Ford introduces a supercharged F-150 Harley-Davidson edition truck.
- All-new Super Duty is launched for the 2008 model year. For the first time the Super Duty includes the F-450 pickup and 6.4-liter PowerStroke clean Turbo Diesel.
- The 2008 F-Series 60th Anniversary Editions are introduced.