FORD WARRIORS IN PINK ASKING MEN TO 'TIE ONE ON' IN THE FIGHT AGAINST BREAST CANCER
IMAGES: Available at www.media.ford.com.
- During October, National Breast Cancer Awareness Month, men are being asked to join in the fight against cancer by purchasing a unique and fashionable Ford Warriors in Pink tie
- Many men have a woman in their lives who has been affected by breast cancer, and 2,000 new cases in males are diagnosed each year
- The tie is the first piece of Ford Warriors in Pink apparel designed exclusively for men, and it is available online at www.fordcares.com for $26, with 100 percent of the net proceeds directly benefiting Susan G. Komen for the Cure
CONTEXT / BACKGROUND:
October is National Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Many men have a woman in their lives who has been affected by breast cancer – a wife, mother, sister, daughter, aunt or friend – and 2,000 new cases of male breast cancer are diagnosed each year. Men can now demonstrate their support in the fight against breast cancer by wearing a fashionable Ford Warriors in Pink tie, which bears the classic Warriors in Pink signature logo.
Nearly 200,000 women and 2,000 men will be diagnosed with breast cancer in the United States in 2009, according to the National Cancer Institute. Though far fewer men than women are diagnosed with breast cancer each year, the disease has a significant impact on men because many men have a woman in their lives – a wife, mother, sister, daughter, aunt or friend – who suffers from the disease.
About the Ford Warriors in Pink Tie
- For the first time, Ford Warriors in Pink is offering a piece of apparel designed exclusively for men.
- Men can now demonstrate their support in the fight against breast cancer by wearing the multicolored tie. The tie is printed on a ribbed, 100 percent silk king twill, which adds texture and design depth.
- The classic Ford Warriors in Pink signature logo is screened into the bottom right-hand corner of the tie.
- The tie is available online at www.fordcares.com for $26, with 100 percent of the net proceeds directly benefiting Susan G. Komen for the Cure.
About Ford Warriors in Pink
- Through its Warriors in Pink program, Ford has dedicated more than $100 million to the breast cancer cause.
- Limited-edition Ford Warriors in Pink apparel is sold exclusively at www.fordcares.com, and 100 percent of the net proceeds directly benefit Susan G. Komen for the Cure.
- More than half a million pieces of Ford Warriors in Pink apparel and gear have been sold over the past three years, generating more than $1.8 million for the Susan G. Komen foundation.
- When a consumer test drives a Ford vehicle from now until Dec. 31, 2009, Ford will donate $20 on his or her behalf to the Susan G. Komen for the Cure affiliate in the city of the consumer's choice.
"Every man has been touched by breast cancer in some way. The new Warriors in Pink tie offers them a unique, fashionable way to demonstrate their support in the fight against the disease, and it also helps increase awareness."
– Connie Fontaine,
Manager, Ford Brand Content and Alliances
"As co-survivors, men provide critical support to those touched by breast cancer. But men are at risk for the disease too, with nearly 2,000 diagnosed this year. Ford's Warriors in Pink tie is an easy way for men to show their support for those who suffer from breast cancer, and to remind themselves to be aware."
– Katrina McGhee,
Vice president, Global Partnerships, Susan G. Komen for the Cure
About Ford Motor Company
Ford Motor Company, a global automotive industry leader based in Dearborn, Mich., manufactures or distributes automobiles across six continents. With about 201,000 employees and about 90 plants worldwide, the company's automotive brands include Ford, Lincoln, Mercury and Volvo. The company provides financial services through Ford Motor Credit Company. For more information regarding Ford's products, please visit www.ford.com.
Oct. 6, 2009