Ready, Set, Go: Track Apps on 2013 Ford Mustang Gives Drivers Instant Performance Information
- 2013 Ford Mustang gets several new technologies, including an available 4.2-inch LCD productivity screen that lets customers access information related to fuel economy and vehicle performance
- Unique to Mustang’s productivity screen is Track Apps, which delivers performance metrics for drivers while at a track. The screen measures g-forces, shows acceleration times in quarter-mile and 0-60 increments, and displays braking times, complete with automatic and countdown starts – a great convenience for enthusiasts
- Also new for 2013 Mustang are two audio systems that deliver exceptional clarity and sound quality for a complete acoustic experience that simulates being at a live performance
DEARBORN, Mich., March 7, 2012 – The Ford Mustang extends the boundaries of fuel economy and performance and for the new 2013 model, Mustang provides customers what they want technology-wise, as well. A new productivity screen, new audio systems and plenty of standard and optional features highlight the technology available for owners of the newest pony car.
Key to helping customers of the new Mustang take advantage of all the capability is an available 4.2-inch liquid crystal display productivity screen. This LCD screen offers menu options, giving the driver important information related to fuel economy and vehicle performance. The menu is navigated through a five-way control button located on the steering wheel.
“Mustang stays fresh by keeping relevant with everything going on in the tech world,” said Dave Pericak, Mustang chief engineer. “So we’re taking all the technology people are used to using and finding ways to put it in Mustang.”
The new LCD is positioned between the tachometer and speedometer and the familiar pony image greets the customer at key-on.
Unique to Mustang’s productivity screen is Track Apps, which delivers performance metrics for drivers who want to put their car to the test at the track. Ford used extensive enthusiast feedback to tailor the system to meet their needs.
An accelerometer shows the g-force the car is pulling from left to right and also shows fore and aft. Drivers who take their car to a track can measure their fastest times with the acceleration timer screen, which lets them choose from 0-30 mph, 0-60 mph, 0-100 mph, eighth-mile and quarter-mile. Both an automatic start and a countdown start, complete with drag racing start light, are available.
The brake performance screen indicates stopping time and distance for 60-0 or 100-0. The view/clear results screen lets drivers take a look at their top times, including their all-time best. They can review their last results and saved results from the acceleration timer and brake performance screen.
“We take advantage of sensors that are already on the car to give customers information they would have to pay extra for in the aftermarket,” said Jeff Seaman, Mustang launch leader. “They have more data at their fingertips than ever before.”
A closer look at the base menu options:
Gauge mode: Checking temperature/engine operation
- Air-to-fuel ratio
- Cylinder head temperature
- Inlet air temperature
- Oil temperature
- Transmission temperature
Trip computer: Counting the miles
- Information on two trips available
- Trip time and mileage
- Gallons of fuel used and miles per gallon
Fuel economy: Up-to-the-second information
- Fuel history can be broken down to three time periods
- Five resets are available to track fuel history
- Fuel economy displays miles to empty, as well as average and instantaneous miles per gallon
- View/clear results
Settings: Customers can:
- Set steering feel – sport, standard or comfort
- Update MyColor
- Set MyKey®
- Turn features on or off
- Change duration of lamps
- Change operating condition for maintenance schedules
- Set oil life percentage
Information: Navigate and view warnings
- System check screen displays information such as oil life, engine hours, engine idle hours and open doors
- Warnings, such as “Left rear door ajar,” can be displayed graphically
Technology and connectivity features
The 2013 Mustang offers two new audio systems that deliver incredible clarity and sound crispness for even better sound quality. The optional Shaker system comes with eight speakers. The upgraded Shaker Pro offers nine speakers for a complete acoustic experience that simulates being at a live performance. The move for new audio systems was sparked through customer feedback that showed a desire for a more authentic listening experience.
In addition to the higher powered systems with more decibels and a new external amplifier, the speakers were changed and reconfigured to refine the system. The result is an elevated level of music, essentially enhancing the in-cabin acoustics and improving bass response and image to give an overall better sound stage experience.
“Mustang customers are passionate about their cars and they tell us what they are looking for in their next Mustang,” said Puneet Sahi, Mustang marketing manager. “The 2013 car is a perfect example of how we are delivering. Aside from the more aggressive styling cues, we are offering new optional packages for both the GT and V6 that up the convenience factor. Now, customers can get their base Mustang with SYNC®, a leather steering wheel and shifter, six-way power driver seat, fog lamps and auto-dim mirror.”
The 2013 Ford Mustang also includes a wealth of features to provide more convenience. Standard and available technology features include:
- Auxiliary audio input jack
- HD Radio
- Sirius® Satellite Radio
- SYNC with AppLink™
- Voice-activated Navigation System with touch-screen display
- Rear view camera
- Reverse Sensing System
# # #
About Ford Motor Company
Ford Motor Company, a global automotive industry leader based in Dearborn, Mich., manufactures or distributes automobiles across six continents. With about 164,000 employees and about 70 plants worldwide, the company’s automotive brands include Ford and Lincoln. The company provides financial services through Ford Motor Credit Company. For more information regarding Ford and its products worldwide, please visit http://corporate.ford.com.