Ford Atlas Concept Hauls Away Autoweek Magazine’s Most Significant Vehicle Award
- Ford Atlas Concept is named Most Significant vehicle of the 2013 North American International Auto Show (NAIAS) by the writers of Autoweek Magazine and autoweek.com
- Ford Atlas Concept showcases the design, capability, fuel efficiency and smart technologies that will define future pickup trucks
- For the sixth year in a row, Ford vehicles on display at NAIAS have garnered Autoweek award recognition
DEARBORN, Mich., Jan. 17, 2013 – The Ford Atlas Concept, a bold vision for the future of pickups, has been named Autoweek Magazine’s Most Significant vehicle of the 2013 North American International Auto Show (NAIAS).
“The Atlas Concept is clearly Most Significant winner for the things you don’t see, like hidden aerodynamic improvements and weight savings from high-strength steel and interior parts, like thinner seats,” said Bob Gritzinger, Autoweek executive editor. “Those things add up to significant fuel savings for pickup trucks down the road. A next-generation EcoBoost® with Auto Start-Stop technology also signals why Atlas is a real game changer.”
The Ford Atlas Concept made its worldwide debut at NAIAS on Tuesday, Jan. 15. A design and engineering study inspired by decades of listening to customers in the places where they work and play, the concept has tomorrow’s pickup buyers in mind.
Breakthrough features include active aerodynamic elements in the grille, front air dam and wheels that reduce wind resistance to save gas. Truck-specific features that improve capability, durability and productivity include a Dual-Purpose Tailgate Step that integrates with a roof cradle to become a rack for long objects like ladders, Hidden Cargo Ramps to load ATVs and motorcycles, Trailer Backup Assist to enable accurate reversing with a trailer via the simple twist of a knob, and more.
“We are thrilled by the enthusiastic response to the Ford Atlas Concept,” said Raj Nair, Ford group vice president for Global Product Development. “This award from Autoweek – plus overwhelming positive reaction from news media and across social channels alike – confirms Ford is the recognized thought leader in trucks, in addition to our position as truck sales leader for 36 years.”
This is the sixth year in a row Autoweek has honored Ford with one of its North American International Auto Show Editors’ Choice Awards:
- 2012: 2013 Ford Fusion named Best in Show
- 2011: Ford Vertrek Concept named Best Concept
- 2010: Next-generation Ford Focus named Most Significant
- 2009: 2010 Ford Taurus named Most Significant and 2010 Ford Shelby GT500 named Most Fun
- 2008: 2009 Ford F-150 named Most Significant
# # #
About Ford Motor Company
Ford Motor Company, a global automotive industry leader based in Dearborn, Mich., manufactures or distributes automobiles across six continents. With about 172,000 employees and 65 plants worldwide, the company’s automotive brands include Ford and Lincoln. The company provides financial services through Ford Motor Credit Company. For more information regarding Ford and its products worldwide, please visit www.corporate.ford.com.