DESIGN: 2005 FORD ESCAPE IS FRESH INSIDE AND OUT
- New front and rear fascias and headlamps
- Standard flow-through center console with floor shifter and increased storage
- More comfortable and stylish front seats, new gauge faces and interior materials
- New aluminum wheel choices and four new paint colors
MIAMI, Nov. 7, 2003 – Escape charges into the 2005 model year with a fresh look inside and out. In keeping with Ford’s commitment to interior design, Escape has a standard floor shifter, higher quality trims and more comfortable seats for 2005, and the exterior is freshened to combine Ford’s truck toughness with a refined sporty look. Key changes include:
Standard Flow-Through Center Console
- A flow-through floor console with integrated shifter standard on all models
- A new center console with larger cup holders, additional storage and 12-volt power point
- Upgrades to the front seats for comfort, with new fabric and premium leather surfaces
- A modernized instrument cluster and available message center on Escape Limited
- A new front fascia with integral fog lamps, new grille and quad headlamps with jewel-effect clear lenses; new rear fascia
- New paint colors: Sonic Blue, Norsea Blue, Silver Metallic, Titanium Green
- Molded-in-silver ribbed “skid plate” effect fascias with XLT No Boundaries™ package
- New aluminum wheels available on XLS and XLT
Standard on all 2005 Escapes is an integrated flow-through center console replacing the floor-mounted freestanding console on current models. Ford moved the shift lever to the console, while fitting it with an additional storage bin, a 12-volt power point and large, deep cup holders. To accommodate various beverage sizes and to ease cleaning, the cup holders have removable rubber inserts.
More Supportive, Attractive Seats
For 2005, Escape’s front seats are more comfortable, with new fabric and leather choices. Advanced pressure-mapping techniques were used to re-tune the seat foams for more support, fewer pressure concentrations and enhanced comfort, particularly on longer drives.
All XLT Escapes will have new cloth seating surfaces for 2005. Durable and attractive, this premium material has been carefully matched to the interior Flint or Pebble color scheme. Leather seating surfaces are optional on XLT models. Now standard on Limited versions is a premium Imola Leather seat material with perforated inserts, available in Pebble or Ebony.
The rear seat on every Escape now is split 60/40 and folds flat for extra cargo capacity. For 2005, a head restraint and integrated three-point safety belt have been added to the rear center position.
New Instrument Cluster with Message Center
All Escapes have a modern-faced instrument cluster for 2005. The white-faced gauges have markings designed for legibility and are ringed in warm-steel-colored bezels.
Standard on Limited models is a multi-function Message Center. This two-line, 24-character liquid-crystal display offers trip statistics such as average fuel economy, instantaneous fuel economy and distance-to-empty; an oil change reminder with estimated oil life; and various warnings such as when a door is open, a bulb is burned out, or the fuel cap needs to be tightened.
Room for All Your Stuff
In all Escape models, rear seating systems can be folded flat for increased cargo space. The rear-seat cushion also can be removed, further enhancing load-carrying capacity. The flip-up rear glass offers easy access to the rear cargo area, while four tie-downs in the cargo area help secure loads.
With the rear seat up, cargo capacity is 29 cubic feet – and 66 cubic feet are available with the seat folded. For smaller items, open storage bins are located in the rear quarter panel on both sides of the cargo area. The glove box locks and each front door includes large, deep map pockets.
The spare wheel on all 2005 Escapes has been moved to a location under the floor, rather than inside. It can be lowered by a special winch which only can be operated with the tailgate open, to help prevent theft.
Available on XLT and Limited trims is the 300-watt satellite-capable MACH audio system, which turns the Escape into a seven-speaker premium listening room. An eight-inch high-output subwoofer provides deep, loud bass tones, while door-mounted tweeters improve stereo imaging. The system uses digital signal processing and is pre-wired for satellite radio. Both the MACH and the standard audio system on XLT and Limited use an in-dash six-CD changer. Even the base XLS model has a standard CD player, and a cassette player can be added to XLT models.
Designed For Ruggedness and Urban Fun
Escape’s wide stance with aggressive large wheel arches, wide body cladding and integrated bumpers give a functional, off-road-ready yet modern look. For 2005, the headlamps are clearly defined quad circles behind jewel-effect clear lenses. The egg-crate grille has been restyled to match the rest of the Ford SUV lineup.
On XLT and Limited, the new ribbed bumper fascia holds new dual round fog lamps. All Escapes have a new rear bumper fascia for 2005. With the XLT No Boundaries™ package, which includes a unique rack system, the front and rear fascias have a molded-in-silver “skid plate” effect.
New Aluminum Wheels
For 2005, Escape XLT models have a new standard 16-inch aluminum wheel with five tapered spokes and rugged notches at the wheel lip. Optional on XLS models is a new five-spoke 15-inch aluminum wheel. The gently scalloped spokes lend a geometric, “techy” look to the vehicle.
All Escape wheels share the five-spoke theme. The standard wheel on XLS models is a 15-inch styled-steel design; XLT No Boundaries have a painted aluminum 16-inch wheels; while XLT Sport and Limited models have a bright machined version of the 16-inch wheel.
With more than 10 ordering options available, including front- and four-wheel-drive versions, there is an Escape for every buyer:
- XLS Manual: Duratec 23 four-cylinder engine, molded-in-color grey fascias and body cladding and black roof rails
- XLS: adds the automatic transmission
- XLT: Duratec 30 V-6, 16-inch aluminum wheels, ribbed fascia and privacy glass
- XLT Sport: adds machined wheels, painted fascias and cladding and black step bars
- XLT No Boundaries Package: adds the innovative No Boundaries Rack System, painted aluminum wheels and molded-in-silver “skid plate” fascias
- Limited: adds body-color painted fascias and cladding, Imola leather seating surfaces, message center and bright machined wheels.
- Limited Comfort Package: adds the MACH audio system, heated mirrors, premium leather-trimmed seats and Reverse Sensing System.