Ford Announces SYNC AppLink to go Global, Providing Voice-Activation of Smart Phone Apps to Ford Customers
- Ford reveals customers will be able to use voice control to access and operate smart phone apps with the introduction of SYNC AppLink to Ford vehicles globally
- AppLink to be made available to Ford customers outside of North America for the first time as part of the SYNC voice-control and in-car connectivity package
- Ford seeking partners globally to work on future development of SYNC AppLink-compatible smart phone apps for a wide range of services
BARCELONA, Spain, Feb. 27, 2012 – Ford Motor Company has today announced AppLink, a feature which delivers voice control of smart phone apps from the driver’s seat, will be introduced globally as part of its voice-control and in-car connectivity system SYNC.
Ford Motor Company Executive Chairman Bill Ford revealed the forthcoming innovation at Mobile World Congress, in Barcelona, where he unveiled the new B-MAX for the first time.
B-MAX will be the first vehicle to feature SYNC in Europe. Ford will announce when AppLink will be introduced as part of the SYNC system at a future date.
“AppLink is an extremely useful and innovative addition to SYNC,” said Doug VanDagens, Ford’s global director of connected services. “We will work closely with leading developers around the world to develop apps which are compatible with SYNC AppLink and provide the best services for our customers.”
AppLink is currently available on 10 Ford vehicles in North America, and enables drivers there to access top apps including:
- Stitcher – a mobile app for streaming radio shows and podcasts directly to smart phones
- TuneIn – an app allowing users to access live local and global radio on the move
- iHeart Radio – an app that allows users to access over 800 radio stations across America
- Slacker Radio – an app that controls personalised music and information content through free and subscription radio services
- OpenBeak – an app that allows users to have Twitter updates read out to them
- Pandora – An app that allows users to voice-activate their Pandora Internet radio stream including pausing and skipping songs
- Scout by TeleNav – a new daily personal navigator that allows drivers to easily and efficiently navigate their commutes, run errands, and discover places around them.
- SYNC Destinations powered by INRIX – a free app for SYNC Services users that combines with SYNC AppLink to deliver quick, on-the-go, voice-controlled access to the latest traffic reports and forecasts, travel times, turn-by-turn directions and destination downloads
The global introduction of SYNC AppLink, following a successful roll out in North America, will deliver voice-control of smart phone apps to even more Ford customers, enabling them to keep their hands on the wheel and eyes on the road while remaining connected when driving.
Ford aims to deliver voice-control compatibility with apps for a wide range of services, and is now actively seeking to partner with app developers on future opportunities as SYNC AppLink rolls out to customers globally. Developers can contact Ford at syncmyride.com/developer.
# # #
About Ford Motor Company
Ford Motor Company, a global automotive industry leader based in Dearborn, Mich., manufactures or distributes automobiles across six continents. With about 164,000 employees and about 70 plants worldwide, the company’s automotive brands include Ford and Lincoln. The company provides financial services through Ford Motor Credit Company. For more information regarding Ford and its products worldwide, please visit http://corporate.ford.com
Ford of Europe is responsible for producing, selling and servicing Ford brand vehicles in 51 individual markets and employs approximately 66,000 employees. In addition to Ford Motor Credit Company, Ford of Europe operations include Ford Customer Service Division and 22 manufacturing facilities, including joint ventures. The first Ford cars were shipped to Europe in 1903 – the same year Ford Motor Company was founded. European production started in 1911.