2010 Flex Overview
2010 FORD FLEX IS MORE OF EVERYTHING: TECHNOLOGY; CONVENIENCE; FUEL ECONOMY
- Newly available 3.5-liter EcoBoost™ V-6 engine, the first V-6 direct-injection twin-turbocharged engine produced in North America, provides V-8 power with V-6 fuel economy
- Comprehensive safety features including AdvanceTrac® with RSC® (Roll Stability Control™) and Safety Canopy® with Rollover Sensor
- Advances like MyKey™ and available Active Park Assist help Flex owners enjoy more freedom
Ford Flex already turns heads with its distinctive design. For 2010 Ford's unique full-size crossover becomes even more noteworthy, thanks to an available twin-turbocharged direct-injected 3.5-liter EcoBoost V-6 engine. This all-new engine gives Flex V-8 power and performance feel with the fuel economy of a standard V-6. EcoBoost serves as proof of Ford's ongoing commitment to advanced powertrain technology as a way to bring economical fuel efficiency to millions.
A Boost to Power and Efficiency
The twin-turbocharged 3.5-liter EcoBoost V-6 produces 355 horsepower at 5,700 rpm and 350 ft.-lb. of torque at 3,500 rpm while still returning 16 mpg city/22 highway with standard AWD.
“We are committed to delivering fuel economy leadership in every new vehicle,” said Derrick Kuzak, Ford’s group vice president of Global Product Development. “The beauty of EcoBoost is that it enables us to downsize for fuel efficiency, yet boost for power. We’re able to decrease the size of the available engine – such as installing a V-6 versus a V-8 – yet boost the power using turbocharging to deliver similar power and torque of that larger engine.”
Pressurized direct injection enables a higher compression ratio, while twin turbochargers work in tandem to reduce lag associated with earlier turbocharged engines. Even with additional horsepower, fuel economy is optimized by an increased compression ratio – enabled by charge-cooling air – and sophisticated knock controls.
Standard equipment on Flex remains a 3.5-liter, 24-valve variation of the award-winning Duratec engine family. Delivering 262 hp at 6,250 rpm and 248 ft.-lb. of torque at 4,500 rpm, this engine has been tuned to provide brisk acceleration and smooth power delivery, plus an unsurpassed 20 mpg combined for Flex FWD.
All Flex models send power through a six-speed automatic gearbox. When powered by the EcoBoost V-6, Flex is equipped with a six-speed SelectShift Automatic™ transmission. This advanced gearbox offers the driver a choice between fully automatic operation and manual control.
With SelectShift, paddle shifters are integrated into the steering wheel spokes. Intuitive to operate, a squeeze back on either paddle will deliver an upshift, while a gentle push forward on either paddle will induce a “matched-rev” downshift. Unlike other competitive transmissions, SelectShift won’t “second guess” the driver with an override shift; manual control is truly manually controlled.
All-wheel drive is optional on Flex SEL and Limited with the standard 3.5-liter V-6. The AWD option enhances the vehicle’s capability in a variety of weather conditions and is fully automatic, using an advanced array of internal electro-mechanical clutches to efficiently distribute torque between front and rear wheels as needed. AWD is standard in the Flex with EcoBoost.
Technology and Convenience Features
It's not just the class-leading room for seven and myriad interior storage options that have Flex owners raving. Flex is also packed with innovative, class-leading technology solutions that seek to empower, not overpower the driver.
Standard and available features include:
- Ford SYNC® with Traffic, Directions and Information leverages industry-leading voice-recognition software, integrated GPS technology, and a customer’s Bluetooth®-capable mobile phone. SYNC’s new applications provide simple hands-free access to personalized traffic reports, precise turn-by-turn driving directions and up-to-date information including business listings, news, sports, and weather. Available on SE, standard on SEL and Limited.
- SIRIUS Travel Link™ that, when combined with voice activated navigation, will provide users with a suite of data services including real-time traffic (in select areas), coast-to-coast weather conditions and fuel price information for over 120,000 gas stations in the 48 contiguous states and the District of Columbia. Standard on Limited. SYNC: Traffic, Directions & Information is not available with Navigation System with SIRIUS Travel Link.
- Active Park Assist uses sensors on the front and rear of the vehicle, working in conjunction with Electric Power Assist Steering (EPAS), to guide the vehicle into a parking space. Available on Limited.
- Pull-Drift Compensation is a software-based technology that, working with EPAS, automatically helps drivers offset vehicle pulling or drifting that can occur in steady crosswinds or on uneven roads. Standard on EcoBoost models.
- Class-exclusive refrigerated console: Mounted between the second-row captain’s chairs, the available compressor-driven refrigerator can cool up to seven 12-ounce cans, four half-liter bottles or two 20-ounce bottles from room temperature to 41 degrees in a little more than two-and-a-half hours – 40 percent faster than a standard home refrigerator. Available on Limited.
- Reverse camera system. Available as an option, this system displays the area behind the vehicle in the rear-view mirror or on the navigation system screen (if equipped) when the vehicle is shifted into reverse. Standard on Limited.
Active and Passive Safety Innovations
The Ford Flex features an advanced structural safety system that combines octagonal front frame rails, tunnel rails, and support members designed to absorb and redirect crash forces away from the passenger compartment.
Flex also uses Side Protection And Cabin Enhancement (SPACE) Architecture® to optimize side-impact occupant protection. The SPACE system integrates a hydroformed high strength steel tube embedded in the floor that runs the width of the vehicle from B-pillar to B-pillar and along the rocker panels to form a safety cage to help protect passengers in side impact incidents.
Also included is the Personal Safety System™, combining multiple technologies to tailor the air bag package and safety belt functions to each individual passenger and the particular accident circumstances. The system can identify variables, such as severity of the crash, weight of the individual passenger and safety belt usage to adjust air bag deployment force.
To help encourage safer teen driving, Flex features the MyKey™ system. Parents simply program the vehicle key through the message center to incorporate features such as:
- Persistent Belt-Minder® chime
- Limited top speed of 80 mph
- Traction control system that limits tire spin cannot be deactivated
- Audio system volume limited to 44 percent of maximum volume
- A speed alert chime at 45, 55 or 65 mph
Flex Safety Technologies
Standard and available 2010 Ford Flex safety features include:
- AdvanceTrac with RSC
- Belt-Minder – driver and passenger
- LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren) System
- Rear View Camera System
- Personal Safety System – seat belt pretensioners, load limiting retractors, dual-stage front air bags, driver seat position sensing and crash severity sensing
- Side impact air bags – driver and front passenger
- Safety Canopy® System
- SOS Post Crash Alert System™
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
Flex Technology and Connectivity Features
Standard and available 2010 Ford Flex technology features include:
- SYNC hands-free communications and entertainment system with Traffic, Directions and Information
- Active Park Assist
- EPAS with Pull-Drift Compensation
- SecuriLock® Encryption Passive Anti-Theft System (EPATS)
- SIRIUS Satellite Radio with TravelLink
- Rain-Sensing Wipers
- SecuriCode™ Keyless Entry Keypad
- Reverse Sensing System
- Easy Fuel® Capless Fuel-Filler System
- Voice-activated navigation
- Universal garage door opener
The 2010 Ford Flex is available in SE FWD and SEL and Limited trim with FWD and AWD. All Flex models are built at the Oakville Assembly Plant in Ontario.