2011 Transit Connect Overview
AWARD-WINNING FORD TRANSIT CONNECT BRINGS NEW OFFERINGS FOR 2011, MORE COMMERCIAL APPLICATIONS
- Ford fills a commercial business need with the 2011 Ford Transit Connect, a unique vehicle developed specifically for small business owners
- Low operating and ownership costs, a fuel-efficient 2.0-liter engine, 135 cubic feet of cargo space, a 1,600-pound payload capacity, available Ford Work Solutions™ and various cargo management systems make Transit Connect a smart solution
- For 2011, Transit Connect adds a taxi prep package, a compressed natural gas (CNG) or liquid propane gas (LPG) prep package, a Mobility prep package and an XLT Premium Wagon variant, along with a new online custom graphics program
- Ford Transit Connect, 2010 North American Truck of the Year, starts at $21,475, including destination
Ford is tapping its global portfolio of products to meet the unique needs of American small business owners with the 2011 Ford Transit Connect, a spacious, fuel-efficient alternative to larger commercial vehicles that’s ideal for navigating U.S. cities.
Transit Connect arrived in the U.S. market in 2010 with a global reputation for durability and toughness dating back to its 2003 launch, when an expert jury of European commercial vehicle journalists named it International Van of the Year.
Ford Transit Connect is built on a dedicated front-wheel-drive commercial vehicle platform to meet and exceed the needs of small business owners and entrepreneurs. To prepare for the unique needs of small businesses in the United States, the powertrain was upgraded to include a proven Duratec® 2.0-liter dual-overhead-cam (DOHC) I-4 engine and a four-speed automatic overdrive transaxle.
Transit Connect offers small business owners a compelling alternative to meet their unique requirements, instead of asking them to pull seats out of minivans or compromise on one or more of their needs.
Custom graphics a mouse click away
New this year, Ford is introducing an innovative program designed to help business owners customize the vinyl graphics on their Ford Transit Connect vans. Since its launch last summer, the Transit Connect has been praised by business owners who describe the attention-getting vehicle as a virtual “billboard on wheels.”
Now Ford is offering current and future commercial customers an online program at www.fordtransitconnectgraphics.com that they can use to create their own custom graphic “wraps” using an online library of shapes, lettering and colors that can be manipulated in a number of ways. They also can upload their own images to the site and incorporate them into the design.
Transit Connect capability
Transit Connect was developed to bring commercial-use customers a new vehicle choice, offering significantly improved fuel economy and generous, accessible cargo space with the agility and maneuverability to deliver the goods in tight quarters.
Transit Connect capability begins with its capacity. Offering 135.3 cubic feet of cargo volume, no other vehicle in the American market can deliver the same combination of capacity and fuel economy.
- Split rear cargo doors open at a standard 180 degrees or an optionally available 255 degrees; when open, these doors provide access to 52.1 inches of available load height
- Lift-over height is less than two feet when the Transit Connect is unloaded
- Once inside, the cargo area opens up to 59.1 inches of floor-to-ceiling load height
- The load width is 48.1 inches between the wheel arches
- Load length is a generous 72.6 inches – more than six feet of cargo floor space; dual sliding rear side doors provide wide access to the generous cargo space as well
- More than double the cargo-carrying space of the Chevrolet HHR Panel means Transit Connect is suitable for a broader range of commercial-use applications
- Cargo payload of up to 1,600 pounds – more than the full-size Dodge Ram 1500 standard-cab short-box pickup truck
The Transit Connect capability story goes beyond capacity. Its size and nimble driving dynamics provide agility for urban routes. Power-assisted rack-and-pinion steering provides a 39-foot curb-to-curb turning circle, an advantage when delivering the goods in tight quarters.
The Transit Connect XLT Wagon can comfortably seat up to five passengers while still offering up to 78.1 cubic feet of cargo space.
With fuel economy estimated at 21 mpg city and 26 highway, Transit Connect offers a unique combination of cargo and payload capacity with unmatched fuel economy.
Transit Connect adaptability
Ford Transit Connect was conceived, developed and engineered to meet the needs of small business proprietors all over the world. The vehicle can be upfitted to meet specific needs across a diverse range of commercial customers and users.
Bulkheads, racks, bins and other upfits can be mixed, matched and configured to suit many specific commercial applications and needs. Transit Connect is offered with a wide range of upfitted cargo management options, similar to the enduring, market-leading Ford E-Series commercial vehicles.
Small business owners have tremendous choice with this unrivaled commercial application:
- Transit Connect is available as a cargo van with no windows in the sliding side doors, combined with rear cargo door privacy glass
- A panel van version is offered with no side or rear cargo area windows
- Transit Connect can be configured with side and rear door privacy glass for maximum driver visibility
- A wagon version of Transit Connect XLT is available with a folding second-row bench seat in either two- or three-passenger configuration; the wagon is ideally suited to the specialized needs of a small business owner that uses Transit Connect for carrying cargo for business and family during off-hours; all-around glass and front fog lamps are now standard on wagon models
- A new XLT Wagon Premium package features a chrome grille and hood applique, body-colored door handles and side-view mirror skull caps, four audio system speakers, rear cargo door pocket storage, cargo area trim and cargo area flip-open side glass
Ford Transit Connect can be further adapted to individual business needs with the inclusion of Ford Work Solutions. This system allows customers to:
- Run a business from inside the Transit Connect – right from the job site; an in-dash computer provides Internet access, productivity software and optional printing capabilities
- Track tools. Tool Link™ gives the ability to organize, scan and track tools, inventory and other cargo items
- Track the fleet. Crew Chief™ is a tailored telematics service to monitor and manage small or large fleets
The Ford Work Solutions in-dash computer allows small business owners to download customer or product information, remotely access an office work station computer, send and receive text messages, navigate job or delivery locations with the Garmin navigation function, and connect with customers via hands-free phone functionality (some features unavailable while the vehicle is in motion).
With a bright touch screen for easy use and visibility, the in-dash computer runs the Windows CE 6.0 operating system. Word processing, spreadsheet, calculator and calendar applications are all included. With applicable subscriptions, the system can provide users with Internet access, remote document access and Garmin online services such as traffic, weather and fuel prices.
The in-dash computer enables the availability of Tool Link by DEWALT™. Using Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) tags that adhere to the tools or objects themselves, Tool Link allows Transit Connect cargo to be scanned for the appropriate tools and inventory items prior to leaving for the job site or route.
Tool Link helps manage valuable tools and ensures that specific items are onboard and available for use. Tool Link helps to keep all RFID-tagged objects on board, so at the end of the day these items are secure and available for work on the next job.
Crew Chief is a tool for fleet managers to track vehicles, staff and vehicle diagnostics. This system, not available in conjunction with the in-dash computer, provides a fleet manager with constant access to vehicle location information, the ability to track vehicle performance, automatic notification of vehicle maintenance needs and the ability to let drivers drive – not fill out written vehicle logs.
Crew Chief allows online access to speed, idle time, fuel usage and more than 30 diagnostic measures. Functions and reporting can be tailored to meet the specific needs of fleets large or small. Crew Chief also has “geo-fencing” capability, allowing a fleet manager to set geographic or time-of-use boundaries.
Transit Connect is adaptable to multiple drivers, too. It features a six-way manually adjustable reclining driver’s seat with an armrest and a four-way adjustable reclining passenger’s seat. The steering wheel tilts and telescopes to fit drivers of diverse sizes.
For 2011, Transit Connect expands its portfolio of offerings to meet even more unique commercial applications:
- Taxi fleet operators will have a new choice with the Transit Connect taxi prep package, offering a repositioned rear seat for additional passenger room, heavy-duty vinyl seat surfaces, a rear air/heat blower with passenger controls, and a heavy-duty battery with a wiring block connector for added taxi-specific electrical equipment and accessories
- Physically challenged drivers and passengers will appreciate the Transit Connect XLT Premium Wagon Mobility Motoring package; pre-wired for accommodating mobility accessories, the package also features grab handles and includes a heavy-duty battery
- Fleet administrators using compressed natural gas or liquid propane gas will be able to choose a CNG/LPG-capable engine prep package featuring hardened intake and exhaust valves, as well as hardened valve seals
- To adapt to additional fleet-specific customer needs, the power group options are now available to fleet buyers
Transit Connect durability
Ford Transit Connect has a global track record of durability. Built on a dedicated commercial vehicle platform in an exclusively commercial vehicle production facility, Transit Connect is designed, engineered and manufactured by Ford of Europe to beat tough, light commercial vehicle durability standards.
Transit Connect is powered by a well-proven Duratec 2.0-liter DOHC I-4 engine featuring four valves per cylinder and an aluminum block and head. Sequential multi-port electronic fuel injection provides precise fuel metering for smooth and economical performance.
This engine, delivering 136 horsepower at 6,300 rpm and 128 ft.-lb. of torque at 4,750 rpm, has proven American-market durability and is mated to a four-speed automatic transaxle with overdrive for additional fuel economy. Fifteen-inch steel wheels with P205/65R-15 black sidewall tires put Transit Connect in contact with the road.
Transit Connect was developed from the outset to be durable, with a boron steel front crossmember, a high-strength steel reinforced body shell, twin side crossmembers and side-impact protection. Several areas of the body structure are double-skinned for additional strength, increasing resistance to the minor scrapes inherent in urban delivery situations. Swage lines along the lower side door panels add rigidity and visual character.
Transit Connect, a professional choice
While providing an ideal palette for identification and a business logo on its body side, Transit Connect tells the world its owner or operator has made a smart, savvy and efficient choice.
Transit Connect helps keep passengers and cargo safe and secure, too. Front and side airbags help keep driver and first-row passenger safe. Four-wheel anti-lock brakes and a Tire Pressure Monitoring System are standard as well. A locking exterior hood release helps keep things secure up front. Lock-in-Latch shielded door locks help Transit Connect resist break-in.
Transit Connect helps small business professionals keep their cool with standard air-conditioning and an AM/FM stereo receiver with two speakers. A similar audio unit is offered, adding a single-disc CD player and an audio input jack.
A standard center console includes two large cup holders and twin storage bins for receipts, invoices and toll coins. The Transit Connect roofline allows for an overhead storage shelf to hold the small items that are important to entrepreneurs.
Transit Connect accessibility
With models starting at $21,475, including destination, Transit Connect is accessible to a wide range of small business owners.
Plus, low operating costs, excellent fuel economy and 7,500-mile service intervals make economic sense for businesses on tight budgets. A comfortable ride, an automatic transaxle and small exterior dimensions make Transit Connect accessible to lots of drivers that might be intimidated by the prospect of a full-size commercial vehicle.
Transit Connect safety technologies
Standard and available 2011 Transit Connect safety and security features include:
- Airbags, front and side for driver and front passenger
- Four-wheel ABS brakes
- Roll Stability Control
- Electronic Passive Anti-Theft System
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System
Transit Connect technology and connectivity features
Standard and available 2011 Transit Connect technology features include:
- Ford Work Solutions
- In-dash computer
- Tool Link
- Crew Chief
- Auxiliary audio input jack
- Locking exterior hood release
- Reverse sensing system
- Rear View Camera System
- Nokia Bluetooth System
The Transit Connect is built at Ford’s Kocaeli, Turkey, commercial vehicle assembly facility.