2012 Taurus SHO Overview
Sporty 2012 Ford Taurus SHO Combines High Performance and Technology, Yet Delivers an EPA-Rated 25 MPG Highway
- The Taurus SHO version of Ford’s flagship sedan offers premium performance and fuel economy with the 3.5-liter EcoBoost™ V6. This advanced engine delivers normally aspirated V8 levels of power, without compromising its V6 fuel economy
- The 2012 Taurus SHO features an enhanced Ford SelectShift Automatic™ six-speed transmission with control paddles mounted on the steering wheel
- Taurus SHO has an advanced torque-sensing all-wheel-drive system, specifically tuned suspension and unique interior appointments
The Ford Taurus SHO returns for 2012, delivering on the premise that high performance and responsible fuel economy need not be mutually exclusive.
“The high-performance Taurus SHO is a sport sedan that doesn’t ask its driver to compromise,” said Bill Gubing, chief program engineer. “It provides the performance, driving dynamics and technology enthusiasts crave, while delivering up to 25 mpg on the highway. It’s like having your cake and eating it, too.”
New for 2012
A new hue for 2012 – Ginger Ale Metallic – is added to the Taurus SHO color palette.
The legendary SHO formula calls for unique exterior design cues including premium painted aluminum wheels wrapped in standard low-profile tires, a decklid-mounted spoiler and twin chrome exhaust tips. The car also features a uniquely finished interpretation of the Ford signature three-bar grille with SHO-specific parking lamp bezels.
The SHO interior encourages performance driving. Leather-trimmed seats with Miko® suede inserts, made with recycled post-consumer yarns from plastic soft drink bottles, are both comfortable and luxurious. A perforated leather-wrapped steering wheel puts the driver in smooth touch with the road. Front seats are 10-way power adjustable. SHO accelerator and brake pedals are trimmed in aluminum.
The console, instrument and door panels feature SHO-specific authentic aluminum appliqués. SHO branding appears on the unique floor mats and on the passenger side of the instrument panel.
Taurus SHO features an advanced electric power-assisted steering (EPAS) system providing responsive road feel and enhanced on-center balance. SHO also features a sport-tuned suspension with unique shock absorbers, springs, stabilizer bars and strut mount bushings specifically developed and harmonized to deliver the highest level of road-holding, cornering agility and steering responsiveness.
Taurus SHO takes full advantage of Ford’s multilink SR1 rear suspension design. Named for the 1:1 shock absorber ratio, this configuration provides an inherently stable base for the SHO development team to fine-tune for enhanced driver control and agility. In addition, the SR1 rear suspension geometry provides increased travel, while enabling the use of 19- and 20-inch wheels and tires.
For the discriminating enthusiast, Taurus SHO can be specified with an available SHO Performance Package consisting of upgraded brake pads, recalibrated EPAS for even more responsiveness, a sport mode setting for the standard AdvanceTrac® with electronic stability control and a shorter 3.16 to 1 final drive ratio for faster acceleration. In addition, it has 20-inch Goodyear Eagle F1 summer-compound performance tires with premium painted wheels.
The foundation of the 2012 Taurus SHO is a 3.5-liter twin-turbocharged EcoBoost™ V6 engine. This advanced unit generates 365 horsepower at 5,500 rpm and 350 lb.-ft. of torque from 1,500 to 5,250 rpm, resulting in significantly improved power, torque and fuel economy compared with larger, normally aspirated engines.
A key feature of this EcoBoost engine is gasoline direct injection. The direct injection of fuel into the cylinder during the intake stroke, as opposed to port-style injection to an externally mounted intake, produces a well-mixed air-fuel charge. Fuel vaporization during the intake stroke cools the incoming air, improving volumetric efficiency and lowering the likelihood of knock.
The new Taurus SHO driveline combines a high-capacity six-speed SelectShift Automatic transmission with a sophisticated torque-sensing all-wheel-drive system. These components work in harmony to deliver ample traction when putting EcoBoost power on the road.
The six-speed transmission offers a wide array of gears to enable spirited acceleration, yet comfortable and economical high-speed cruising through a 2.77 to 1 final drive ratio. It provides conventional automatic operation or a manual shift mode that gives the driver the option of timing and control of gear selection.
For performance-minded drivers, paddle controls allow match-rev downshifts and will hold manually selected gears for precise control. Intuitively operated, a push on either paddle will deliver an economical upshift under acceleration, while a gentle pull forward brings a smooth downshift, synchronizing the engine and transmission speeds for responsive, positive engagement.
The Taurus SHO driveline uses a sophisticated all-wheel-drive system that engages automatically and unobtrusively. The unit contains an advanced array of internal electromechanical clutches to efficiently distribute torque to the wheels with optimum traction.
Standard 2012 Ford Taurus SHO safety features include:
- Side Protection And Cabin Enhancement (SPACE) Architecture® comprised of a hydroformed cross-car beam embedded in the floor between the door frames, providing additional strength in the side of the vehicle
- Personal Safety System™ consisting of sensors that note right front occupant weight, seat belt usage, outboard seat belt tension and seating position to optimize airbag deployment force for occupant safety
- AdvanceTrac® with electronic stability control
- SOS Post-Crash Alert System™ that automatically unlocks the doors, sounds the horn and activates the emergency flashers in the event of airbag deployment
- MyKey® owner control feature
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
Standard and available 2012 Ford Taurus SHO technology features include:
- SYNC® voice-activated communications and entertainment system with Traffic, Directions and Information
- Sirius® Satellite Radio with initial six-month subscription
- Voice-activated navigation with Sirius Travel Link™ and HD Radio®, including iTunes song-tagging ability
- Multicontour seats with Active Motion™
- Intelligent Access with push-button start
- Integrated blind spot mirrors for enhanced blind-spot visibility
- Rear view camera to aid rear visibility when backing up
- Easy Fuel® (capless fuel filler)
- Ambient lighting enables the driver to change interior lighting colors
The 2012 Taurus SHO is built at Ford’s Chicago Assembly Plant.