06-Sep-2013 | BERLIN
Ford President and CEO Alan Mulally To Unveil All-New Ford S MAX Concept and Deliver Keynote Address at IFA Show
- Ford President and CEO Alan Mulally will today reveal Ford’s all-new S-MAX Concept vehicle during a keynote at the IFA 2013 consumer electronics show
- Mulally to outline Ford’s commitment to leading a new era of connected driving and leveraging new technologies to deliver a safer and more convenient driving experience
- S-MAX Concept showcases Ford’s vision for a future generation sport activity vehicle featuring remarkable new technologies including car-to-car communication, ECG Heart Rate Monitoring Seat and Ford Intelligent Protection System
- S-MAX Concept also demonstrates existing Ford technology advances including SYNC with AppLink which the forthcoming all-new EcoSport SUV will be among the first vehicles in Europe to offer
BERLIN, Sept. 6, 2013 – Ford Motor Company President and CEO Alan Mulally will today unveil Ford’s all-new S MAX Concept vehicle to the world for the first time at the IFA consumer electronics show in Berlin.
Mulally will take the wraps off the sleek, sporty and dynamically styled S-MAX Concept during a keynote speech at IFA, during which he will highlight Ford’s commitment to leading a new era of connected driving and leveraging new technologies to deliver a safer and more convenient driving experience for Ford customers.
Ford’s Jim Buczkowski, Henry Ford Technical Fellow and director, Electrical and Electronic Systems, Research and Advanced Engineering, will join Mulally to deliver further insight into the advanced technology showcased in the all-new S-MAX Concept; and Ed Pleet, director, Europe, Asia Pacific, and Africa Connected Services, will provide an update on Ford’s plans to bring SYNC with AppLink to Europe.
“The S-MAX Concept demonstrates our commitment to creating vehicles with best-in-class technology that our customers want and value,” Mulally said. “The S-MAX Concept is full of new smart features that will make customers’ lives easier and make driving safer.”
The all-new S-MAX Concept showcases an array of sophisticated Ford technologies designed to deliver benefits to drivers, passengers and other road users in the future, tomorrow and today.
Future technologies include:
- Car-to-car communication capability that enables the S MAX Concept to talk to similarly equipped vehicles, delivering warnings in the event of potentially dangerous situations such as oncoming traffic on the wrong side of the motorway or a vehicle stopped on a blind bend
- Ford’s ECG Heart Rate Monitoring Seat and Glucose Level Monitoring, leveraging existing Ford SYNC connectivity to deliver health and wellbeing advantages for those inside the car
Technologies coming soon include:
- An advanced version of Ford’s Active Park Assist featuring perpendicular parking capability, park out assist and Cross Traffic Alert
- Ford Intelligent Protection System with Pre-Collision Assist, which identifies pedestrians and automatically applies the brakes if a collision is imminent
Today’s technologies include:
- A high-efficiency powertrain featuring Ford’s all-new 1.5-litre EcoBoost petrol engine
- Ford SYNC and SYNC with MyFord Touch, delivering advanced connectivity and voice-control features
- SYNC AppLink, which enables voice activation of smartphone apps as part of the SYNC connectivity system
And even the exterior styling of the S-MAX utilises the latest technology, with organic LEDs that offer greater flexibility in terms of positioning and design, fast response and colour range.
“Ford engineers in Europe and around the world are currently involved in projects to make all of the S-MAX Concept’s futuristic experiences a reality for future generations of drivers,” said Buczkowski. “This year our European Research and Advanced Engineering team has already seen major successes developing car-to-car communication and we’ve announced that SYNC with AppLink will soon enable drivers in Europe to voice control smartphone apps.”
Ford provided and open-sourced AppLink to the GENIVI Alliance – the consortium committed to driving the broad adoption of an in-vehicle infotainment open-source development platform – as the foundation for SmartDeviceLink. Ford’s goal is for the SmartDeviceLink to become an industry wide, global standard for enabling smartphone apps to integrate with cars.
Ford this week announced at IFA a new series of apps for SYNC with AppLink that features in the all-new S-MAX Concept and which the forthcoming all-new EcoSport SUV will be among the first vehicles in Europe to offer. The system will offer apps from TomTom, Hotels.com, Audioteka, DIE WELT, ADAC, Eventseeker and Cityseeker by Wcities as well as Autoread and AskWiki apps from Deutsche Telekom Innovation Laboratories; in addition to previously announced apps from Spotify, Kaliki, Glympse and Aha.
“This strong line-up of compelling apps that will be available for our AppLink customers is very exciting as it offers great capabilities for our customers and shows the power of the technology,” said Pleet. “This demonstrates how Ford SYNC with AppLink is gaining huge traction with app partners and the development community.”
This year marks the third year in a row that Ford has selected IFA as the venue to introduce the company’s latest technological news and products.
“At Ford, we understand that customers want to stay seamlessly connected to their digital lives while keeping their hands on the wheel and eyes on the road,” Mulally said. “At IFA, we are showcasing breakthrough technologies that allow for integration of our customers’ existing technologies to create a better connected, safer and more convenient driving experience.”
A live-stream of Mulally’s keynote address to IFA will be available to view from 17:00 CET at http://ifa2013.fordmedia.eu
About Ford Motor Company
Ford Motor Company, a global automotive industry leader based in Dearborn, Mich., manufactures or distributes automobiles across six continents. With about 177,000 employees and 65 plants worldwide, the company’s automotive brands include Ford and Lincoln. The company provides financial services through Ford Motor Credit Company. For more information about Ford and its products worldwide please visit www.corporate.ford.com.
Ford of Europe is responsible for producing, selling and servicing Ford brand vehicles in 50 individual markets and employs approximately 47,000 employees at its wholly owned facilities and approximately 67,000 people when joint ventures and unconsolidated businesses are included. In addition to Ford Motor Credit Company, Ford Europe operations include Ford Customer Service Division and 22 manufacturing facilities (13 wholly owned or consolidated joint venture facilities and nine unconsolidated joint venture facilities). The first Ford cars were shipped to Europe in 1903 – the same year Ford Motor Company was founded. European production started in 1911.