- All-new Ford Mondeo starts production at Ford Sollers’ re-equipped Vsevolozhsk Plant close to St. Petersburg, Russia
- Ford Sollers is launching at least four more new Ford models in 2015, including the all-new Ford Mondeo, new Ford Focus, and the new Ford Fiesta
- Ford Sollers continues to invest in expanding the Ford vehicle portfolio in Russia, and in modernizing its production facilities
- Ford Sollers is increasing component and raw material localization to reduce costs and lower exchange rate exposure, and starts the local production of engines in late 2015
- The new Ford Focus will start production at Ford Sollers’ plant in St. Petersburg in the second half of 2015
- All-new Mondeo delivers superior refinement, new levels of comfort, a wide range of innovative technologies, and is tailored for the needs of Russian customers
Vsevolozhsk, Leningrad region (St. Petersburg), April 9, 2015 – Ford Sollers, Ford’s joint venture in Russia, has today started production of the all-new Ford Mondeo at its Vsevolohsk Plant close to St. Petersburg.
“Ford Sollers is continuing to invest in expanding the Ford vehicle portfolio in Russia, and to modernize our production facilities. The start of production today of the all-new Ford Mondeo is more proof of our commitment to bring the latest Ford models to our Russian customers,” said Ted Cannis, President and CEO, Ford Sollers.
“While in the short term, Russia remains an extremely volatile and challenging market, we believe the market likely has significant potential in the longer term. This is why this year alone Ford Sollers is launching at least four more new Ford models, including the all-new Ford Mondeo, new Ford Focus, and the new Ford Fiesta.”
The launch of the all-new Ford Mondeo follows a full-scale modernization of Ford Sollers’ Vsevolozhsk Plant designed to enable it to improve further its ability to manufacture high quality, innovative and technologically-advanced Ford vehicles. The investment includes substantial new production equipment, increased automation, and production process enhancements such as improved production ergonomics. The body shop has been fitted with a robotized main conductor capability, while a laser cabin has been installed and pneumatic equipment for the workstations.
With the recent upgrades, the total investment in the Vsevelohsk Plant since it was opened exceeds $400 million.
“Ford Sollers continues to invest in modernizing our manufacturing facilities in Russia. Later this year, the new Ford Focus will start production at our Vsevolozhsk Plant, while the Ford Fiesta will go into production in our plant in Naberezhnye Chelny, Tatarstan. We also will start local production of engines at our newly constructed engine plant in Elabuga, Tatarstan,” said Adil Shirinov, executive director and COO, Ford Sollers.
Mondeo – Built for Russia
The all-new Mondeo has been tailored to meet the needs of discerning Russian customers, and is fully-adapted for cold climactic conditions and ready for Russian winter conditions. It comes equipped with a special winter package which includes an electric windshield defroster, electrically heated front and rear seats, heated steering wheel, and optimized windshield washer system.
The Mondeo’s ground clearance has been raised by 12mm to meet Russian road conditions, but special attention was paid to the suspension adjustments and braking efficiency to maintain the Mondeo’s excellent vehicle dynamics.
Russian customers can buy the all-new Mondeo sedan in four specification levels, and with three advanced-technology EcoBoost gasoline engines.
Ford Sollers plant in Vsevolozhsk
The Ford Sollers plant in Vsevolozhsk, Leningrad region, started operations in 2002, originally as a Ford facility, and was the first foreign-owned vehicle manufacturing plant in Russia in the modern era. Production capacity of the plant is more than 160,000 vehicles per year. The plant employs around 1,500 people. The facility builds the Ford Focus and Ford Mondeo.