09-Feb-2017 | COLOGNE, Germany
Ford Introduces Fully Electric Family Car Drivers Can Recharge in the Time it Takes to Enjoy Coffee and Cake
- New Ford Focus Electric 5-door hatchback that can be charged from zero to 80 per cent full in just 30 minutes using fast-charging technology is now available to order
- New battery with almost 50 per cent more energy storage means drivers can go 225 km (140 miles) on a single charge. Focus Electric also gets sophisticated SYNC 3 connectivity
- Ford also will launch an all-new fully electric SUV with estimated 480 km (300 mile) range by 2020, amongst 13 new global electrified vehicles in the next five years
COLOGNE, Germany, Feb. 9, 2017 – The new Ford Focus Electric can be charged from zero to 80 per cent full in just 30 minutes. *
The zero-emission 5-door hatchback can now also travel up to 225 km (140 miles) on a single battery charge, making it even more practical, and is available to order for customers in Europe. **
“Drivers can recharge our new Ford Focus Electric in the time it takes to stop and enjoy a cup of coffee and a piece of cake,” said Joe Bakaj, vice president, Product Development, Ford of Europe. “With new fast-charging capability and an improved battery, the new Focus Electric is a zero-emission family car with driving range and usability that makes sense in the real world.”
The new Focus Electric is one of 13 new global electrified vehicles Ford is launching in the next five years, including:
- An all-new electric SUV with an estimated range of at least 480 km (300 miles) coming by 2020
- A new plug-in hybrid Transit Custom van that is planned for commercial production in 2019, and is currently being trialled in a multi-million pound project designed to help improve air quality in London
- A hybrid version of the iconic Ford Mustang
Alongside the new Focus Electric, Ford also offers the Mondeo Hybrid model for customers in Europe. Ford is focusing its EV plan on its areas of strength – electrifying its most popular, high-volume commercial vehicles, trucks, SUVs and performance vehicles to make them even more capable, productive and fun to drive – plus more fuel efficient.
More range, faster charging
The new Ford Focus Electric five-door hatchback is powered by a 145 PS (107 kW) electric motor, and a 33.5 kilowatt-hour battery – almost 50 per cent more energy capacity than the outgoing model. Both the battery and motor are liquid-cooled and -heated, helping the new Ford Focus Electric be more energy-efficient and extending the battery lifespan.
A new fast-charging connector uses the industry-standard Combined Charging System (CCS) to enable drivers to plug their Focus Electric into DC fast-charging points in roadside, service station and rest area locations across Europe, delivering an 80 per cent battery charge in just 30 minutes.
Using the same charging connector at a 32 amp AC home-charging point, customers can charge their Focus Electric to deliver around 225 km (140 mile) driving range in 5 hours, and around 150 km (93 mile) driving range in 3-4 hours. Research suggests that 90 per cent of drivers travel less than 100 km (62 miles) per day, and the average distance travelled daily by car is 46 km (29 miles). ***
Ford also has a memorandum of understanding with several other automakers with the goal of creating the highest-powered charging network in Europe – with an initial target of 400 ultra-fast charging points across the region.
In addition to more driving range and faster charging, the new Focus Electric delivers the latest SYNC 3 connectivity system that enables drivers to control audio, navigation and connected smartphones using simple, conversational voice commands, and is compatible with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto™.
Focus Electric drivers with smartwatches can simply look at their wrist to check the battery status of their car, using the MyFord Mobile smartwatch app. The app also lets owners find their way back to their car, lock and unlock their car remotely, check the driving range and get key information about their most recent journey.
The new Ford Focus Electric is available to order now in Belgium, Finland, Germany, Hungary, Norway, Switzerland and the U.K.
# # #
* Charging time will vary according to vehicle usage and environmental conditions. Approximate charge times based on external factors including driving style, accessory loading, battery state of charge and temperature.
** The declared Fuel/Energy Consumptions, CO2 emissions and electric range are measured according to the technical requirements and specifications of the European Regulations (EC) 715/2007 and (EC) 692/2008 as last amended. Fuel consumption and CO2 emissions are specified for a vehicle variant and not for a single car. The applied standard test procedure enables comparison between different vehicle types and different manufacturers. In addition to the fuel efficiency of a car, driving behaviour as well as other non-technical factors play a role in determining a car's fuel/energy consumption, CO2 emissions and electric range. CO2 is the main greenhouse gas responsible for global warming.
Android and Android Auto are trademarks of Google Inc.