- Ford and Team Fordzilla to reveal at gamescom 2020 the winning Project P1 design – a unique collaboration between an auto manufacturer and gamers
- Inaugural Fordzilla Cup final to be played-out during the virtual event, with the winner receiving a professional esports contract with Team Fordzilla
- Team Fordzilla, Ford’s first-ever esports team, to launch its new online home at www.teamfordzilla.com
Ford returns to gamescom, Europe’s largest gaming trade fair, for the fourth consecutive year this week with Team Fordzilla news taking centre stage.
The virtual event will see Team Fordzilla announce its new online home, teamfordzilla.com, reveal the winner of the inaugural Fordzilla Cup and announce during the Opening Night Live (ONL) show on Aug. 27 exciting news about Team Fordzilla Project P1 – the first-ever car designed in a collaboration between gamers and a car manufacturer.
The world’s largest event for computer and video games, gamescom is also Europe’s biggest business platform for the games industry. This year it will be entirely digital with online events happening over the three days following the ONL, finishing on Aug. 30.
To see Ford’s announcement, visit the ‘gamescom now’ content hub at www.gamescom/global/home from 19:30 CET on Thursday 27th August.
The launch of www.teamfordzilla.com will provide a permanent home for Ford’s official esports team. Fans will be able to follow live Twitch feeds of races, download vehicle graphics for use in-game and keep up-to-date with the latest news.
The final of the inaugural Fordzilla Cup will be battled out at gamescom 2020, with the winner receiving a professional contract with Team Fordzilla. More information on the Fordzilla Cup can be found here.
Project P1 demonstrates Ford’s real-world, human-centric design thinking in a digital world. This open collaboration between Ford’s designers and the gaming community (via social media) is a world first for any auto maker. At gamescom 2020, the final design will be revealed, and a second special announcement is expected.
Ford launched Team Fordzilla – its first ever esports team – in 2019 with individual teams in France, Germany, Italy, Spain and the UK, consisting of hand-picked racers. Each team competes in national competitions with dedicated team captains, with the best drivers representing Team Fordzilla at a European level. Currently, more than 40 drivers race under the Team Fordzilla banner.
In 2019/20 Team Fordzilla entered a European team in the Le Mans Esports series and recently announced it would be one of eight teams invited to compete in the new V 10-R League, hosted by Gfinity and Abu Dhabi Motorsports Management. For further updates, follow the team on Twitter (@TeamFordzilla), Instagram (@teamfordzilla) and Twitch (Twitch.tv/TeamFordzilla).
Ford @ gamescom
Ford has attended gamescom for a number of years aiming to bring innovative aspects to the event and underscore its commitment to gaming:
- 2015: displayed Ford GT as title vehicle for sixth instalment of Forza Motorsport
- 2016: set GUINNESS WORLD RECORD title for ‘longest video marathon on a racing game’ using a Ford GT for 48 hours 29 minutes and 21 seconds
- 2017: first official Ford stand. Explored relationship between driving experiences in the real world and in virtual reality
- 2018: introduced a unique 4D gaming simulator that supported the introduction of Ranger Raptor in Europe, the first ever vehicle launched at the gaming convention
- 2019: launched its first-ever esports team, Team Fordzilla
“We’re re-emphasising our commitment to gaming again at this year’s gamescom. We continue to experiment and push boundaries with Team Fordzilla, using our unique position as an automotive manufacturer to deliver fascinating projects, like Project P1, and demonstrating our engagement and support of the gaming community with the Fordzilla Cup and launch of our user-focused website.”
Emmanuel Lubrani, senior manager communications, Team Fordzilla, Ford Europe