Continuing its 25-year run as the best-selling SUV in the United States, the 2017 Ford Explorer packs even more smart technology and comfort features. An available XLT Sport Appearance Package adds to a lineup that already includes a remarkably refined Platinum edition.
The new XLT Sport Appearance Package features updates inside and out, and provides a rugged new look, including 20-inch Magnetic Gray wheels, grille, mirror caps and rear appliqué; Ebony Black body-side cladding and black roof rack; and Explorer hood badge. Interior updates include Dark Earth Gray leather front seats and Miko suede seatback uppers and inserts, with Umber scrim, contrast stitching and door trim inserts. Front seat outer bolsters by premium leather maker Salerno and Explorer logo floor mats are also included.
Explorer is available with SYNC® 3 and other popular features such as a hands-free, foot-activated liftgate, heated steering wheel, inflatable first- and second-row safety belts and LED fog lamps.
Drivers can opt for a 2.3-liter EcoBoost® four-cylinder engine that delivers 280 horsepower at 5,500 rpm and 310 lb.-ft. of torque at 3,000 rpm. Explorer Sport and Platinum edition models pack a 3.5-liter twin-turbocharged EcoBoost V6 that generates 365 horsepower at 5,500 rpm and 350 lb.-ft. of torque at 3,500 rpm. Base model Explorer, XLT and Limited trim levels come standard with a 3.5-liter V6 that produces 290 horsepower at 6,500 rpm and 255 lb.-ft. of torque at 4,000 rpm. All engines are mated to a six-speed SelectShift® automatic transmission.
Available features that carry over for the 2017 Ford Explorer include:
- Front and rear cameras: Both have wide-angle lenses and come equipped with a washer – a class-exclusive, segment-first feature
- Enhanced active park assist: System uses ultrasonic sensors and electric power-assisted steering to help drivers with parallel and perpendicular parking. It includes park-out assist to help drivers pull out of parallel parking spots. The system controls the steering wheel, while the driver operates the accelerator and brake pedals, and shifts the vehicle into gear
- Intelligent all-wheel drive with Terrain Management System™
- Smart-charging USB ports: Located at the front and rear of the vehicle, the ports can charge smart devices up to two times faster than conventional ports
- Hands-free liftgate: A customer need only kick his or her leg below the center of the rear bumper to open or close the liftgate
- 500-watt Sony® audio with Live Acoustics™ and Clear Phase™
- Active Grille Shutters: Upper and lower fascia openings close at highway speeds to reduce drag; at low speeds, shutters open to deliver airflow to cool the powertrain
- Air curtains: Standard air curtains create a high-pressure region of air that impacts the outer surface of the wheels and tires – resulting in airflow held close to the vehicle body to minimize drag
- Adaptive cruise control and collision warning with brake support: Uses radar to detect moving vehicles directly ahead and changes cruising speed if necessary
- Lane-keeping system: Automatically detects left- and right-hand road lane markings using the front camera system. A vibration in the steering wheel alerts the driver if the vehicle begins to drift out of its lane. The system can also provide steering torque to help guide the vehicle back into the lane if needed
- Blind Spot Information System: BLIS® uses radar to trigger a warning when another motorist is in the driver’s blind spot
- Cross-traffic alert: Uses radar to help alert drivers to oncoming traffic when backing out of a parking space
- Auto high-beams: Using windshield-mounted cameras, the feature automatically switches between high-beam and low-beam settings when oncoming traffic is detected